The Illinois Department of Transportation and Illinois Department of Natural Resources Are reminding motorists to be vigilant during deer mating season as the animals become more active, especially in the early morning and evening hours.
Motorists are urged to consider the following safe driving tips during deer mating season:
- Be aware of your surroundings and pay attention to deer crossing signs.
- Scan the sides of the road for eye shine – the reflection of headlights in the eyes.
- Slow down if you see deer. They travel in groups, so more are likely nearby.
- Prepare for the unexpected. Deer can stop in the middle of the road or double back.
- If a collision is inevitable, try to glance the vehicle off the deer and avoid swerving into the opposite lanes of traffic.
For more information, please view the press release.